The clue is in the title – buns (the best kind of buns going if you ask me). Flesh & Buns offer delicious Japanese food with the buns being the star of the show – you can choose from a range of top-notch fillings and then pile them up yourself, at your table.
My parents and brother were visiting and so I decided Flesh & Buns was the perfect opportunity to show them what London has to offer. This is how it began:
A chopstick lesson from Harry (my brother) for my Dad. The chopsticks didn’t last long. After much deliberation we went for the tasting menu. It was perfect for us as it gave us the opportunity to try lots of new things in manageable sizes. It’s a five course tasting menu which is reasonably priced at £35 or £54 if you want wine pairings.
In order of appearance…
1. Rice crackers with avocado shiso & tomato jalapeño. A glass of prosecco regardless of whether you have chosen the wine pairings option. Sorry, no picture the hunger pangs were too strong.
2. Salmon avocado roll & tuna tataki
3. Fried squid and Korean fried wings
4. Buns with crispy duck leg and crispy piglet belly (pork pictured bellow)
5. S’mores – passionfruit marshmallows, almond chocolate and crackers
Overall, we were four happy dinners at the end of the evening. I would eat every course again (everyday if possible) but a personal favourite was the salmon and sushi. My Dad and brother really enjoyed the Korean fried wings. Whether you’re a Japanese novice or expert, Flesh & Bun’s serve up wholesome, flavoursome food that will leave you tummy happy.