As exams draw to a final close, sharing cakes seems like the perfect way to celebrate. I decided to do a bit of experimenting with a limited selection of ingredients and these delightful cupcakes is what I came up with.
Cupcakes (makes 8 large cupcakes):
110g self raising flour
110g unsalted butter
110g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla flavouring
2 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
50g melted milk or white chocolate
1/2 jar of raspberry jam
Cream cheese frosting:
50g unsalted butter
150g soft cheese
50g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla flavouring
Preheat oven at 180C
1. Begin by making the cupcakes. Cream the butter and sugar together until it becomes lighter in colour.
2. Once fully combined, slowly add the eggs and beat together. Add milk to make the mixture of dropping consistency. Finally add the vanilla flavouring.
3. Fill the cupcake cases until they are half full and bake for around 15 minutes until golden brown.
4. Allow to cool for a while on a wire wrack. Then, using a knife cut a 10p size circle into the cupcake and spoon out the centre with a spoon. Allow for quite a big hole but so it doesn’t reach the cupcake case on the bottom.
5. Spoon in the jam until the hole is 3/4 full. Finally top with melted chocolate until the hole is levelled off. I used milk chocolate but think white chocolate would work really well but I didn;t have any in my cupboards. Leave to set.
6. Make the frosting next. Beat the butter in a bowl until it becomes soft. Then beat in the cream cheese. Sift and fold in the icing sugar until combined and then beat to get rid of any lumps.
7. Finally add the vanilla flavouring and allow the icing to set a little in the fridge until the cupcakes are completely cool.
8. Ice your cupcakes! I sprinkled freeze dried raspberries on top for added raspberry flavour.